Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Creating mass matrices for FEM

More
3 years 5 months ago #3282 by bakerk
Hi

I am trying to define some matrices for my FEM and I think I am misunderstanding how to use some of the ngsolve functions.

The listing below defines my geometry and the objects for FEM, then below I define the usual mass and stiffness matrices with entries like u*v and grad(u)*grad(v), and these work fine. My issue is defining this matrix b which will have entries like grad(u)*v. With the code I have below I get an error, so how should I be defining this?

#generate mesh and finite element materials
geo = SplineGeometry()
geo.AddRectangle( (-D, -D), (D, D), bcs = ("bottom", "right", "top", "left"))
mesh = Mesh( geo.GenerateMesh(maxh=msize))
fes = H1(mesh, order=1, dirichlet="bottom|right|left|top")
u = fes.TrialFunction()
v = fes.TestFunction()

#generate stiffness and mass matrices
a=BilinearForm(fes)
a+=SymbolicBFI(grad(u)*grad(v))
a.Assemble()

m=BilinearForm(fes)
m+=SymbolicBFI(u*v)
m.Assemble()

b=BilinearForm(fes)
b+=SymbolicBFI(grad(u)*v)
b.Assemble()

Thanks for any help
More
3 years 5 months ago #3286 by hvwahl
Hello bakerk,

the result of the weak form needs to be scalar, such as [tex]m(u,v) = \int u v dx[/tex] or [tex]a(u, v) = \int \nabla u \cdot \nabla v dx[/tex] when u and v are from a scalar space.
In your b-term you are multiplying a vector grad(u) with a scalar v. The result is therefore a vector which does not make sense in this setting. You should have another look at where the form for b came from to get the correct scalar weak form.

Besh wishes,
Henry
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds