Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Define a H(div) finite element space on a submain

More
3 years 8 months ago #3094 by wen jing
Assume the domain is given as follows: How to define the H(div) finite element space on a subdomain. I define it as "V4 = HDiv(mesh, order=order, dirichlet="gammaSD", definedon = [2])", I find it has more degrees of freedom. I don't know what caused it?

geometry = SplineGeometry()

# point coordinates ...
pnts = [ (0,0), (1,0), (1,0.5), (1,1), (0,1), (0, 0.5)]
pnums = [geometry.AppendPoint(*p) for p in pnts]
# start-point, end-point, boundary-condition, domain on left side, domain on right side:
lines = [ (pnums[0],pnums[1],"gammaDd",2,0), (pnums[1],pnums[2],"gammaDd",2,0),
(pnums[2],pnums[3],"gammaS",1,0), (pnums[3],pnums[4],"gammaS",1,0),
(pnums[4],pnums[5],"gammaS",1,0),
(pnums[5],pnums[0],"gammaDd",2,0), (pnums[5],pnums[2],"gammaSD",1,2)]
for p1,p2,bc,left,right in lines:
geometry.Append( ["line", p1, p2], bc=bc, leftdomain=left, rightdomain=right)
return geometry
More
3 years 8 months ago #3098 by mneunteufel
Hi wen jing,

when using the definedon flag there seems that some dofs are marked as unused but still appear as dofs.
However, when looking at the freedofs it should have the correct number. There is the possibility to Compress the space to neglect all unused dofs.

The code
Code:
V1 = HDiv(mesh, order=2, dirichlet="gammaSD") V2 = HDiv(mesh, order=2, dirichlet="gammaSD", definedon = "dom2") V3 = Compress(V2) print("V1 ndof = ", V1.ndof) print("V1 fdofs = ", sum(V1.FreeDofs())) print("V2 ndof = ", V2.ndof) print("V2 fdofs = ", sum(V2.FreeDofs())) print("V3 ndof = ", V3.ndof) print("V3 fdofs = ", sum(V3.FreeDofs()))

gives the output
Code:
V1 ndof = 1845 V1 fdofs = 1815 V2 ndof = 1115 V2 fdofs = 900 V3 ndof = 930 V3 fdofs = 900

see also the attached code. I would highly recommend to give also regions/materials a name for better readability and avoiding errors like 0/1 based indexing.

File Attachment:

File Name: hdiv_subdomain.py
File Size:1 KB

Best
Michael
More
3 years 8 months ago #3099 by wen jing
Thanks for you advice and help!

Best regards,
Wen JIng
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #3100 by wen jing
Thanks for your answer,which help me a lot! I think the number of dof of V3 is reasonable. However, should i use V2 or V3 when we're coding?
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by wen jing.
More
3 years 8 months ago #3101 by mneunteufel
With both spaces you should get the same result. if you explicitly need the ndofs V3 is less error prone (it might be also a bit more efficient than V2). You can simplify the notation by
Code:
V3 = Compress(HDiv(mesh, order=2, dirichlet="gammaSD", definedon = "dom2"))

Best
Michael
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds