Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Set number of V-cycles in multigrid preconditioner

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #3059 by JanWesterdiep
Hey!

I am trying to use your multigrid preconditioner and set its number of V-cycles. When taking the following page as a starting point:
ngsolve.org/docu/nightly/i-tutorials/uni.../preconditioner.html
I see how I can build a multigrid preconditioner object.

In this file in the C++ code, I can see how this object is constructed:
github.com/NGSolve/ngsolve/blob/bef34e5a...ython_comp.cpp#L2474

Moreover, it shows me the existence of a `MultiGridPreconditioner` object in Python, which is the `MGPreconditioner` class in C++. This class has a `ngmg::MultigridPreconditioner` pointer which drives the multigrid, and *this* class has a method "SetCycle" that sounds to me like the right method:
github.com/NGSolve/ngsolve/blob/3e0c9cac...tigrid/mgpre.cpp#L50

In the constructor of the `MGPreconditioner` class, it calls this method,
github.com/NGSolve/ngsolve/blob/29f288b8...conditioner.cpp#L388
which indicates to me that when I create the preconditioner from Python using `MultiGridPreconditioner(A, cycle=N)`, it should set the cycles. However, no matter how I change the N, the preconditioner does not seem to improve. See the following code. Am I missing something? Is perhaps `cycle` not the number of V-cycles?
Code:
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt import netgen.gui from netgen.csg import unit_cube from netgen.geom2d import unit_square from ngsolve import * def SolveProblem(h=0.5, p=1, levels=1, condense=False, precond="local", cycle=5): """ Solve Poisson problem on l refinement levels. h: coarse mesh size p: polynomial degree l: number of refinement levels condense: if true, perform static condensations precond: name of a built-in preconditioner cycle: (non-working) number of cycles of the multigrid preconditioner OUTPUT: List of tuples of ndofs and iterations """ mesh = Mesh(unit_square.GenerateMesh(maxh=h)) fes = H1(mesh, order=p, dirichlet="bottom|left") u, v = fes.TnT() a = BilinearForm(fes, eliminate_internal=condense) a += grad(u) * grad(v) * dx f = LinearForm(fes) f += v * dx gfu = GridFunction(fes) Draw(gfu) if precond == 'multigrid': c = MultiGridPreconditioner(a, cycle=5) else: c = Preconditioner(a, precond) steps = [] for l in range(levels): if l > 0: mesh.Refine() fes.Update() gfu.Update() with TaskManager(): a.Assemble() f.Assemble() # Conjugate gradient solver inv = CGSolver(a.mat, c.mat, maxsteps=1000) # Solve steps depend on condense if condense: f.vec.data += a.harmonic_extension_trans * f.vec gfu.vec.data = inv * f.vec if condense: gfu.vec.data += a.harmonic_extension * gfu.vec gfu.vec.data += a.inner_solve * f.vec steps.append((fes.ndof, inv.GetSteps())) if fes.ndof < 15000: Redraw() return steps print([ SolveProblem(levels=5, precond="multigrid"), SolveProblem(levels=5, precond="multigrid", cycle=5) ])
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by JanWesterdiep.
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds