Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Stokes equation with purely Neumann boundary conditions

More
3 years 8 months ago #3054 by dong
I tried to implement the Stokes equation with purely Neumann boundary conditions. Since only Neumann conditions are applied, u is only determined up to a constant c. Then I added a Lagrange multiplier to the weak form so that the variational problem is well-posed.
Code:
k = 2 V = VectorH1(mesh,order=k) Q = H1(mesh,order=k-1) R = NumberSpace(mesh) X = FESpace([V, Q, R, R]) gfu = GridFunction(X) (u,p, lam1, lam2), (v,q, mu1, mu2) = X.TnT() lam = CoefficientFunction((lam1, lam2)) mu = CoefficientFunction((mu1, mu2))

When running the code, the order of convergence of p was good, but the that of u was 0. The error of u is still the same when refining mesh. Please see the attached file.

Could you please tell me how to fix this error? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you so much.
Attachments:
More
3 years 8 months ago #3055 by mneunteufel
Hi dong,

by using the NumberSpaces you force that your solution has zero mean value for both velocity components.
Your exact solution, however, does not have zero mean value.

If you change your exact solution to have zero mean
Code:
u1=sin(pi*x)*sin(pi*y)-4/pi**2
you should get convergence (see attached file)

File Attachment:

File Name: stokes_neumann.py
File Size:3 KB

Best
Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: dong
More
3 years 8 months ago #3056 by dong
Thank you so much for your clarification.
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds