Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

local edge estimator separately defined on Neumann boundaries and interfaces

More
3 years 9 months ago #3020 by Presley
Hi,

I was trying to implement an AMR code for a diffusion-reaction problem using residual-based estimator. The problem I'm dealing with has a non-homogeneous Neumann boundary condition. Hence the edge residual splits into two different cases, i.e., the second and the third term in the following formula of the estimator:
[tex]\begin{equation}
\eta_{R,K} = \left\{
h_K^2{\left\lVert f_K+\Delta u_K-u_K\right\rVert}^2_K
+
\frac{1}{2}\sum_{E\in \mathcal{E}_{K,\Omega}}h_E {\left\lVert \mathbb{J}(\mathbf{n}\cdot \nabla u_K) \right\rVert}_E^2
+
\sum_{E\in \mathcal{E}_{K,\Gamma_N}}h_E {\left\lVert g - \mathbf{n}\cdot \nabla u_K \right\rVert}_E^2
\right\}^{\frac{1}{2}},
\end{equation}[/tex]
where [tex]\mathcal{E}_{K,\Omega}[/tex] represents all the interior edges and [tex]\mathcal{E}_{K,\Gamma_N}[/tex] represents all the Neumann boundary edges.

The code I have implemented so far (attached below) computes the interior jump term using (line 105):
Code:
etaEdge = Integrate(h*(n*(grad(gfu)-grad(gfu).Other()))**2*dx(element_boundary=True), mesh, element_wise=True)
This clearly does not account for the Neumann b.c. part which I believe is the reason why the results show a large discrepancy between true error and the residual estimates.

So I was wondering how to distinguish two of them in the implementation? I tried the following
Code:
etaEdge = Integrate(h*(n*grad(gfu)-g2Bottom)**2*dx(element_boundary=True, definedon=mesh.Boundaries("neumBottom")), mesh, element_wise=True)
in order to compute the contribution from part of the Neumann boundary. Weirdly this seems to traverse over all the elements and outputs a list of the size of the # of all elements. I thought it should generate a list in which only the elements on the specified boundary are computed?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Rob
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds