Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Pickling Segmentation Fault/ Inconsistent behaviour

More
3 years 9 months ago #2988 by hvwahl
Hi everyone,

to restart a simulation I'm using data pickled in a previous run. To ensure that the meshes are the same, I take a copy of the mesh from a pickled GridFunction. Using this copy a create new FESpace and a new GridFunction into which I copy the data from the pickled GridFunction.

When I try to pickle this new grid function I sometimes get a segmentation fault. Attached is a MWE (run once with 'restart=False' and then with 'True').

Can anyone help me to avoid these segmentation faults?

Best wishes,
Henry

PS: This inconsistency is both on mac an linux, self build on commits gee9a66d1 and gac4d9b1f (NGSolve 2006).
More
3 years 9 months ago #2989 by hvwahl
Update:

The issue seems to stem from the fact that I delete the unpickled GridFunction. I thought this would not be problematic, since I explicitly copy the mesh
Code:
mesh = Mesh(_gfu_pic.space.mesh.ngmesh.Copy())

Is there a better way to copy the mesh?

Best wishes,
Henry
More
3 years 9 months ago #2990 by matthiash
Hi Henry,

Thanks for the report and the update. We are on it and already found the issue (it's about pointers in the netgen::Mesh, which are not correctly set in the copy). The fix will be on master soon.

Best,
Matthias
More
3 years 9 months ago #2991 by hvwahl
Hi Matthias,

thank for the quick reply and fix :) !

Best wishes,
Henry
More
3 years 9 months ago #2995 by matthiash
Fix is online, a new release is in the pipeline.
Best,
Matthias
The following user(s) said Thank You: hvwahl
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds