Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

The orientation of the normal vector on an inner interface

More
3 years 8 months ago #2966 by salim
Dear NGSolve developers,

I am not able to solve a transmission problem for the Laplace problem using the hybridized mixed method with static condensation. I wonder if the "element_boundary" method gives a normal vector with the same orientation from both sides of the interface.

Programming the same problem using the "skeleton" NGSolve style gives the right answer.

Best regards,
Salim
More
3 years 8 months ago #2967 by joachim
Hi Salim,

in an element-boundary integral, the normal vector is always pointing outside of the element.

The problem with your 'wrong solution' is that a discontinuous H(div) has no Trace anymore.

To build the right hand side with the jump1 - term, you can do element-boundary integrals everywhere, and multiply with a selection function set to 1 at the interface.

Joachim
More
3 years 8 months ago #2968 by salim
Dear Joachim,

Thank you very much for the quick answer and for providing a solution to my problem.

Best,
Salim
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds