Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

How to implement Crank-Nicolson method: update f^n, f^(n+1)

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #2928 by dong
I tried to implement the Crank-Nicolson method for a transport equation.

The Crank-Nicolson method

[tex]M\frac{C^{k+1}-C^k}{\Delta t}+\frac{1}{2}A[ C^{k+1}+C^k]=\frac{1}{2}(f^{k+1}+f^k)[/tex]
or in an incremental form:
[tex]M^*(C^{k+1}-C^k)=-\Delta tAC^k+0.5\Delta t(f^{k+1}+f^k)[/tex]
where [tex]M^*=M+0.5\Delta t A[/tex]

I don't know how to represent (f^{k+1}+f^k) in the time loop. I searched on the tutorial, but I didn't find an example. Please see the attached file.
Code:
while t_intermediate < Tend-0.5*dt: #Update time parameter t.Set(time+t_intermediate+dt) f.Assemble() #RHS: 1/2*dt*(f^(n+1)+f^(n))-dt*A*C^(k)?? res.data = 0.5*dt * (f.vec+f.vec) - dt * a.mat * gfu.vec #wrong gfu.vec.data += invmstar * res t_intermediate += dt #print("\r", time + t_intermediate, end="") Redraw(blocking=True) time += t_intermediate

Could you please tell me how to handle this in NGSolve? Thank you so much.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by dong.
More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #2942 by hvwahl
Hi dong,

if you need the right hand side from the last time-step, you can simply store this in a vector
Code:
f_last = gfu.vec.CreateVector()
and update this at the end of every time-step:
Code:
f.Assemble() f_last.data = f.vec while t_intermediate < Tend-0.5*dt: t.Set(time+t_intermediate+dt) f.Assemble() res.data = 0.5*dt * (f.vec+f_last) - dt * a.mat * gfu.vec gfu.vec.data += invmstar * res f_last.data = f.vec t_intermediate += dt

Best wishes,
Henry
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by hvwahl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dong
More
3 years 9 months ago #2947 by dong
Thank you so much, Henry. I got it.
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds