Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

High Order Element Assembly Routines

More
3 years 10 months ago #2820 by THaubold
Hi,

i implemented a high order assembly routine for the element matrix (atm: only in 2D for the laplacian), which i want to compare with ngsolve's routines and obv. sum-factorization. But i'm missing some information.

I haven't found any reference to sum-factorization in ngsolve yet. Is it implemented in ngsolve? Either as assembly routine or incorporated in a cg-version (as e.g. in the monograph of Karniadakis/Sherwin and related work).

Since i haven't implemented a matrix/mesh-free version yet, i want to compare the time until the global matrix is fully assembled.
What is the most efficient way to do this in ngsolve? (Is it just H1(mesh,order), a = bilinearform, a.assemble() or is there a faster method?)

What is the asymptotic complexity for your element matrix calculation?

Best regards
Tim
More
3 years 10 months ago #2826 by joachim
Hi Tim,

we don't use sum-factorization for the matrix assembling, but we can use sum-factorization for matrix-free operator application with NGSolve. See tutorial 2-11 on matrix-free operator application, and 3-3 for matrix-free time-stepping methods.

We have timers for the major functions in NGSovle, which you can access via
Code:
for t in Timers(): print (t)
Look out for "Matrix assembling", "SymbolicBFI::CalcElementMatrix",
"static condensation", "SparseMatrixSymmetric::AddElementMatrix", "CGSolver"
They are meant for experts, some count wall-clock, some count single core CPU-time ....

You are welcome to present and discuss your findings.

For matrix-free methods the main difficulty is the preconditioner. We have some experimental stuff floating around, but it is not sufficiently robust for release. Contributions are very welcome !

The complexity of element-matrix assembly in NGSolve is the same as static condensation, O(p^3d).
As far as I remember some comparison with sum-factorization, the break even was between 4 and 6 (on tetrahedral meshes). Of course, it heavily depends on the linear algebra kernel you use, and this is pretty optimized in NGSolve.

Best,
Joachim
More
3 years 10 months ago #2827 by THaubold
Hi Joachim,

thanks for the Answer. I will take a look at the timer.

Im experimenting with really high polynomial degrees.
Thus a small follow up question. Can i provide more local heap to the BilinearForm assemble routine?
I get limited at p=40, even if i only use like 2 triangles.

Best
Tim
More
3 years 10 months ago #2828 by joachim
Code:
SetHeapSize(1000000000)
The following user(s) said Thank You: THaubold
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds