Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Inner product of grid functions / Access to trial functions

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #2758 by Luma
Hi everybody,

I want to compute the inner product of two grid functions u_i and u_j over a finite element space, but the inner product
Code:
InnerProduct(ui,uj)
returns yet another coefficient function instead of the expected scalar
[tex]
\int_{\Omega}u_i(x)u_j(x) \quad .
[/tex]
I was also wondering if I could use a precomputed matrix, containing the inner products of the trial functions, which I tried to construct by
Code:
u = fes.TrialFunction() v = fes.TrialFunction() M = BilinearForm(fes, symmetric=True) M += SymbolicBFI(u*v) M.Assemble()
Am I missing the point here? Because I thought that's exactly what a symbolic integrator would do? Is there a way to access the Trial functions by index?

kind regards and thanks in advance
Lukas
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Luma.
More
3 years 11 months ago #2759 by Guosheng Fu
Hi Lukas,

You can simply call
Code:
val = Integrate(gfu1*gfu2, mesh)
to compute the inner product.

Best,
Guosheng
More
3 years 11 months ago #2761 by Luma
Hi Guosheng,

thanks for your reply. I also considered this as a possibility, but I am doing this for a large amount of functions u_i and u_j and the Integration is rather slow.
Although this technically solves the issue, I wonder if there is a faster way to do it.
In my understanding, it should be possible to express every Integration by means of an Integration of the trial functions, which has to be computed only once.
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #2762 by lkogler
As you said, just use a BilinearForm:
Code:
u, v = V.TnT() mass = BilinearForm(V) mass += u*v*dx mass.Assemble() tv = ui.vec.CreateVector() tv.data = mass.mat * ui.vec ip = InnerProduct(tv, uj.vec)

This way you only need to do one sparse matrix vector multiplication and one InnerProduct of vectors everytime. You just need to assemble the BilinearForm once.

One additional remark:
Code:
BilinearForm(..., symmetric=True)
will give you a matrix that is stored symmetrically. This means you use less memory, but the multiplication is a bit slower. If you have to do this for many functions, not using symmetric storage might pay off.

Best,
Lukas
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by lkogler.
More
3 years 11 months ago #2763 by Luma
Hi Lukas,

yes this does the trick! Thank you very much :)
And thanks for the remark, regarding the large amount of functions I use, this may definitely speed up my program.
Accessing the Trial functions by index of the nodes would still be a topic of interest for me, but I can move on with my code now.

Best
Lukas
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #2764 by christopher
You can access them using
Code:
u.vec[i]
but note that except for p1 H1 these values are not nodal ones, but coefficients for the (high order) basis functions.
You can get these values as a numpy array as well with
Code:
u.vec.FV().NumPy()
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by christopher.
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds