Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Integral over product space

More
3 years 10 months ago #2765 by philipp
Replied by philipp on topic Integral over product space
Thanks again. You were right. I compiled ngsolve against my globally installed python3.8 and now the error is gone. Sadly I couldn't find out what exactly was missing for the locally installed python3.7 version, but sometimes it seems better to leave it that way ;).

All the best,
Philipp
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #2784 by philipp
I managed to implement a coefficient function that represents
[tex]
(xx, yy) \mapsto \int_\Omega f((xx,yy),(x,y)) d(x,y);
[/tex] the code is attached. Single threaded it works quite well, but I get odd NaNs at some points
(xx,yy) when computing
[tex]
\int_{[0,1]^2} \sqrt{ (xx - 0.5)^2 + (yy - 0.5)^2 } d(x,y)
[/tex]
with the TaskManager. The following python code should reproduce the error:
Code:
from ngsolve import * from netgen.geom2d import unit_square from intcoefffun import XArgumentMarker, YArgumentMarker, IntCoefficientFunction mesh = Mesh(unit_square.GenerateMesh(maxh=0.1)) xx = XArgumentMarker() yy = YArgumentMarker() fun = lambda c1, c2: sqrt((c1-0.5)**2 + (c2-0.5)**2) intcoeff = IntCoefficientFunction(mesh, fun(xx,yy)) with TaskManager(): print("int = ", Integrate(intcoeff, mesh))
My question is: Did I made some obvious mistake in my implementation?

So far, I have not been able to narrow down the problem more.

Edit:
I did some more debugging and found that changing
Code:
fun = lambda c1, c2: CoefficientFunction(c1-0.5),(c2-0.5)).Norm()
works well. Glad that I could work around this problem I went on just
to discover that I now get other race conditions with coefficient
functions as exp and acos. They show in integral values varying
in a large range. Any idea how this might be related?

All the best,
Philipp
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by philipp.
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #2801 by philipp
Okay, I found the problem.
It seems that the potency operator
Code:
x**2
is not thread safe! Investigating the coefficient function of
Code:
sqrt((xx-0.5)**2 + (yy-0.5)**2)
in gdb I found that the nodes in which (xx-0.5)**2 and (yy-0.5)**2 should be placed are
not initialised. However, employing pow like
Code:
sqrt(pow(xx-0.5, 2) + pow(yy-0.5, 2))
works!
Maybe this is a problem specific to my system, but I want to mention it anyhow...maybe a desperate soul runs into this thread with a similar problem.

Regards,
Philipp
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by philipp.
More
3 years 10 months ago #2802 by philipp
As life is not so simple, I experience some other data race issues with the special coefficient function IfPos.
After some general considerations, I came up with the following question:
Having two integration procedures both acessing the ParameterCoefficientFunctions
XArgumentMarker and YArgumentMarker, do I have to introduce a lock?
I mean the "outer" integration procedure triggered by
Code:
Integrate(intcoeff, mesh)
alters XArgumentMarker and YArgumentMarker used by the integration
in the coefficient function possibly not waiting until the inner integration is finished.
(I am not familiar with the evaluations going on in the ngsolve core and if they are synchronised.)
If so, I would just use the pthread locking mechanisms, but is there a recommended NGSolve solution for this?

All the best,
Philipp
More
3 years 10 months ago #2804 by joachim
Replied by joachim on topic Integral over product space
Hi Philipp,

you found the problem !
Yes, setting the outer coordinates when calling the IntCoefficientFunction to the Parameters changes the expression tree, and does now allow reentrant evaluation.
Of course, you can lock ... But then you have to ask what scaling you get, and why to use parallel evaluation (for the outer loop) anyway.

We had similar issues to get element-specific data down to the CoefficientFunction:
Where to store that data ? In specific cases (it should work out for you) one can use thread-local variables to store the outer x,y coordinates.

We have attached the thread-local data to the only variable passed into the Evaluate-Function, the MappedIntegrationPoint/Rule. It points to the ElementTransformation, to which we can assign user-specific data to the void-pointer userdata. See use-cases in fem/symbolicintegrator.cpp
You implement Evaluate - methods in the ArgumentMarker classes, which unpack the userdata.
I recommend that approach.

Anyway, it looks like you have already dug quite well into NGSolve-C++

Best,
Joachim
The following user(s) said Thank You: philipp
More
3 years 10 months ago #2810 by philipp
Hi Joachim,

thank you very much for the assurance and the detailed explanation. That sounds pretty good. I
thought about copying the coefficient function's expression tree before iterating
over the mesh in the inner integration, but your solutions seems much better. It stores less data
and since the structure for thread-specific data is already there, I shall use it.
I will try tomorrow.

All the best,
Philipp
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds