Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Question regarding 1d HDG

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #431 by janfp
Dear all,
usingmake_seg_mesh from ngsolve-src/py_tutorials/TensorProduct/make_seg_mesh.py, I tried the following example:
Code:
from make_seg_mesh import * import numpy as np import matplotlib as mpl from ngsolve import * ngsglobals.msg_level = 0 m2 = SegMesh(10,0,1,0) m2.dim = 1 mesh = Mesh(m2) Y = L2(mesh, order=1) # space can be fixed for the whole routine #Z = FacetFESpace(mesh, order=0,dirichlet = [1,2]) #X = FESpace([Y,Z]) u = GridFunction(Y) print("Size of u.vec = " + str(u.vec.size)) # returns 20, each element has two degrees of freedom u.Set(x) print(u.vec) # Strange result

To my understanding, I am creating an L^2-Space of order one with 10 elements, so each element has two degrees of freedom (1d), one on the left, one on the right. Thus u.vec.size is 20.
However, I would expect that every second entry in this vector corresponds to the same (physical) vertex point and thus, calling u.Set(x), i would expect a result like, e.g.

however, instead I get

I this a misunderstanding or is there something wrong with .Set(x) in 1d?

thanks,
Jan
Attachments:
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #432 by schruste
Replied by schruste on topic Question regarding 1d HDG
hi jan,

it seems that you are just expecting a different basis (and numbering). The L2 space has an L2 orthogonal basis (not the hat function basis!). Moreover, lowest order dofs are numbered first (unless you use a flag not to do that). the lowest order dofs are the mean values, which fits your values. The second dof per element corresponds to the second legrende polynomial. This is the same coefficient for all elements if you set a linear function.

Btw.: you can also visualize the basis functions by setting a gridfunctions vector to the unit vector.

Best,
Christoph
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds