Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Unexpected behaviour on mass matrix inversion for Stokes flow

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #2670 by philipp
Greetings to the NGSolve community,

I am currently using ngsolve for some numerical experiments in my PhD thesis. So far, I am quite fond of its possibilities and the nice python interface. Thanks to the programmers for this!
I constantly try to enlargen my knowledge about FEM and numerics in general, but am still at its very beginnings, so I hope this question is not too stupid.

Debugging my code I boiled some problems I had down to the following snippet:
Code:
from ngsolve import * from netgen.geom2d import SplineGeometry geo = SplineGeometry() geo.AddRectangle( (0, 0), (2, 0.41), bcs = ("wall", "outlet", "wall", "inlet")) mesh = Mesh( geo.GenerateMesh(maxh=0.05)) V = VectorH1(mesh, order=3, dirichlet="wall|outlet|inlet") Q = H1(mesh, order=2) X = FESpace([V,Q]) u,p = X.TrialFunction() v,q = X.TestFunction() a = BilinearForm(X) a += SymbolicBFI(InnerProduct(grad(u),grad(v))+div(u)*q+div(v)*p) a.Assemble() gfu = GridFunction(X) gfu.components[0].Set((1,1)) gfu.components[1].Set(1) fdofs = X.FreeDofs() for i in range(len(gfu.vec)): if fdofs[i] == False: gfu.vec[i] = 0 print("gfu.vec ", min(gfu.vec), max(gfu.vec)) t1 = gfu.vec.CreateVector() t2 = GridFunction(X) t1.data = a.mat * gfu.vec t2.vec.data = a.mat.Inverse(freedofs=X.FreeDofs(), inverse="umfpack") * t1 print("t2 ", min(t2.vec), max(t2.vec))

As you can see, I am considering the Stokes problem with no-slip boundary conditions everywhere
and check how good the stiffness matrix is inverted. As a rather basic
test I compare the minimum and maximum value of t2.vec and gfu.vec and expect them to be the same up to some (small) deviations. This works perfectly if I leave out the inlet or outlet boundary in the declaration of the Dirichlet boundary. Considering full no-slip boundary, however, the inverse is done quite poorly.
I am confused by this result and up to my knowledge I am not considering an ill-posed problem,
so in theory this should work. Therefore, it seems like I am using ngsolve wrong, but cannot figure out what is missing.
I have to admin that I am not using the latest version of ngsolve. Mine is
NGSolve-6.2.1902-78-g34df28fd if this clarifies anything.

I will be quite grateful for any hint.
Best regards,

Philipp
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by philipp.
More
3 years 11 months ago #2671 by mneunteufel
Hi Philipp,

using no-slip condition on the whole boundary leads to the problem that the pressure p is not unique any more as you can add a constant c and p+c still fulfils the equation (Integrate div(v)*p by parts).

Therefore, to make the pressure unique again there are two possibilities:
1) add a small "regularization" -1e-10*p*q to your bilinear form
Code:
a += SymbolicBFI(InnerProduct(grad(u),grad(v))+div(u)*q+div(v)*p -1e-10*p*q)

2) use a Lagrange multiplier to enforce that p has zero mean value, see attached file

With both strategies your problem with the "poor" inverse should be solved.

Best
Michael

File Attachment:

File Name: stokes_mass.py
File Size:1 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: philipp
More
3 years 11 months ago #2673 by philipp
Hi Michael,

wow, that was fast. Thank you so much! Of course, now I remember this little caveat,
but it just didn't came to me. I tried your solution and it works perfectly.
Just one more question: What exactly is the difference between NumberSpace and, e.g., H1? I tried the Lagrange multiplier approach with the latter and it works also.

Thanks again.
Philipp
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds