Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

ensure boundary condition during adaptive mesh refinement

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #2568 by nsc
Hi,

as the title suggests, I would like to make sure, that the inhomogeneous boundary conditions are preserved during the adaptive mesh refinement scheme. In my current program, the first solution looks correct. However, after the error estimation and the refinement, the solution is 0 (or near 0) on the boundary. I think that the error estimation function is not correct, but I am struggling to find my blunder.

The PDE to be solved is:

[tex]-\Delta u(x) = -(18x^2-6)e^{-1.5(x^2 + y^2)}-(18y^2-6)e^{-1.5(x^2 + y^2)}[/tex]
on the domain
[tex]\Omega: x,y \in [-1,1][/tex]
subjected to the boundary condition
[tex]u(x,y)|_{\partial \Omega} = 2e^{-1.5(x^2 + y^2)}[/tex]

Code:
import netgen.gui from ngsolve import * import netgen.geom2d as geom2d geo = geom2d.SplineGeometry() geo.AddRectangle((-1,-1), (1,1), bcs=["bottom", "right", "top", "left"]) mesh = Mesh(geo.GenerateMesh(maxh=0.05)) mesh.GetBoundaries() fes = H1(mesh, order=2, dirichlet="left|right|top|bottom") g = 2*exp(-1.5*(x**2 + y**2)) gfu = GridFunction(fes) gfu.Set(g, definedon=mesh.Boundaries("left|right|top|bottom")) Draw(gfu) u, v = fes.TnT() a = BilinearForm(fes) a += grad(u)*grad(v)*dx f = LinearForm(fes) f += (-(18*x*x-6)*exp(-1.5*(x*x + y*y))-(18*y*y-6)*exp(-1.5*(x*x + y*y)))*v*dx c = Preconditioner(a,"multigrid") space_flux = HDiv(mesh, order=2) gf_flux = GridFunction(space_flux, "flux") def solveStep(): fes.Update() gfu.Update() Draw(gfu) a.Assemble() f.Assemble() solvers.BVP(bf=a, lf=f, gf=gfu, pre=c) gfu.Update() Redraw(blocking=True) def estimateError(): space_flux.Update() gf_flux.Update() flux = grad(gfu) gf_flux.Set(flux) err = (flux-gf_flux)*(flux-gf_flux) Draw(err, mesh, 'error_representation') eta2 = Integrate(err, mesh, VOL, element_wise=True) maxerr = max(eta2) for el in mesh.Elements(): mesh.SetRefinementFlag(el, eta2[el.nr] > 0.25*maxerr) solveStep() estimateError() mesh.Refine() solveStep() Draw(gfu)
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #2570 by mneunteufel
Hi nsc,

when the GridFunction is updated, the set Dirichlet boundary data is forgotten. You need to set the data again in your solveStep function
Code:
gfu.Set(g, definedon=mesh.Boundaries("left|right|top|bottom")).

You can use the autoupdate flag for FESpaces and GridFunctions. Then you do not need to call the Update method by hand, see attached file.

File Attachment:

File Name: adaptive_and_bc.py
File Size:1 KB

Best,
Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: nsc
More
4 years 2 weeks ago #2571 by nsc
Thank you so much for your help! It works perfectly fine now.
I can't believe that I have wasted so much time on such a simple problem.
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds