Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

question on manual quad mesh generation in 3D

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #416 by Guosheng Fu
Hello,

I have a question on mesh generation.
I need purely quad/hex periodic meshes to test convergence properties of some methods. The domain is a simple square/cube.

The i-tutorial
ngsolve.org/docu/nightly/i-tutorials/uni...h/manualmeshing.html
contains a manual generated rectangular mesh.
How to modify the boundary elements/boundary conditions to have periodic boundary?
Well, in this 2D case, I can use the idea
ngsolve.org/docu/nightly/i-tutorials/uni...1-geom2d/geom2d.html
to generate a periodic geometry and use
ngmesh = geo.GenerateMesh(maxh=0.5, quad_dominated=True)
to get the mesh, so this is not really an issue right now.

But for 3D, when I do quad_dominated=True, it gives me an error like:

SYSTEM ERROR: mesh has still open quads
Caught NgException: Stop meshing since too many attempts

Best,
Guosheng
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #418 by cwinters
Hi,

"quad_dominated=True" just leads to a quad dominated surface mesh in 3D.

You have to generate your own hex-mesh. Check out this topic , there we had a discussion about a periodic cube. One of the attached files in this topic generates a mesh of a cube which is periodic in one direction.

For the 2D case you can use the same strategy. I attached a file which manually meshes a periodic rectangle with quads.

To check if the mesh is periodic, use "View>Viewing Options>Mesh>Show identified points". If this option is active and a draw a mesh you should see lines connecting the periodic(identified) points.

Best
Christoph
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #426 by Guosheng Fu
thanks a lot!
I will try that out.
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds