Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Stop meshing since boundary mesh is overlapping

More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #2448 by bhaveshshrimali
Hi,
I am trying to mesh a unit cube containing several randomly distributed spherical inclusions. Since the cube is triply periodic (along `x`, `y` and `z`) I create matching spheres on the faces/edges to be able to generate a mesh with matching pairs of vertices.

I am currently running two cases:

1. Not including the spheres (basically meshing `cube - all_spheres` object). This runs fine and produces a matching mesh as desired.

2. Including the spheres. In this case I get the error, " Stop meshing since boundary mesh is overlapping ". I am assuming that it could arise from the spheres on two faces not being exactly mirrored. But then why would case 1. run perfectly fine? Any suggestions?

I am attaching the portion of the code that generates the mesh
Code:
def generateGmshMesh(xc, pc, rc): """ docstring """ left = Plane(Pnt(0,0,0),Vec(-1,0,0)) bottom = Plane(Pnt(0,0,0),Vec(0,-1,0)) back = Plane(Pnt(0,0,0),Vec(0,0,-1)) right = Plane(Pnt(1,0,0),Vec(1,0,0)) top = Plane(Pnt(0,1,0),Vec(0,1,0)) front = Plane(Pnt(0,0,1),Vec(0,0,1)) cube = left * right * bottom * top * back * front all_spheres = [Sphere(Pnt(sph[0], sph[1], sph[2]), rc[i]) for i, sph in enumerate(xc)] all_particles = [Sphere(Pnt(sph[0], sph[1], sph[2]), rc[i]) for i, sph in enumerate(pc)] for i, sph in enumerate(all_spheres): if i==0: sphAll = all_spheres[i] else: sphAll += all_spheres[i] for i, sph in enumerate(all_particles): if i==0: partAll = all_particles[i] else: partAll += all_particles[i] # reduce(operator.mul, all_spheres) # partAll = reduce(operator.mul, all_particles, 1) matrix = cube - sphAll partsinCube = cube * partAll matrix.maxh(0.01) partsinCube.maxh(0.005) matrix.transp() partsinCube.col([1,0,0]) matrix.mat("mat") partsinCube.mat("parts") geo = CSGeometry() geo.Add(matrix) geo.Add(partsinCube) geo.PeriodicSurfaces(left,right) geo.PeriodicSurfaces(bottom,top) geo.PeriodicSurfaces(back,front) geo.Draw() Redraw() msh = geo.GenerateMesh() msh.Export("trialMesh.msh", "Gmsh2 Format") msh.Export("trialMesh.inp", "Abaqus Format")

I tried playing with the `maxh` paramter but to no avail.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by bhaveshshrimali.
More
4 years 1 month ago #2451 by christopher
could you attach the calling code as well?
Best
Christopher
More
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #2453 by bhaveshshrimali
Hi Christopher,
Thanks for your reply. Here is the calling code:
Code:
rad = np.loadtxt("radii_10.txt") sph = np.loadtxt("spheres_10.txt") generateGmshMesh(sph, sph, rad)

Note that if I do
Code:
rad = np.loadtxt("radii_10.txt") sph = np.loadtxt("spheres_10.txt") generateGmshMesh(sph,[], rad)

and comment out the relevant lines in the function, it generates the mesh as desired. The microstructure looks something like this. The spheres are close but non-intersecting, and the unit cell (cube with spheres) is periodic by construction.

File Attachment:

File Name: spheres_10...3-02.txt
File Size:12 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: radii_10_2...3-02.txt
File Size:4 KB
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by bhaveshshrimali.
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds