Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Import numpy array into GridFunction

More
4 years 3 months ago #2350 by elizabethmonte
I have a numpy array defining a field on my domain where each element in the array corresponds to a grid point on my mesh. I'd like to define a GridFunction on my mesh and then import the numpy array into the grid function but I haven't found any means of doing this. Is there an easy way to do this?

Alternatively, is there a way to determine which mesh coordinate is associated with each value in the GridFunction vector so I can manually change the values according to my numpy array?

Thanks.
More
4 years 3 months ago #2351 by mneunteufel
Hi elizabethmonte,

I would suggest using the VoxelCoefficient function to convert numpy arrays and then interpolate it into a GridFunction (if necessary)
Code:
mesh = Mesh(unit_square.GenerateMesh(maxh=0.2)) nx = 5 ny = 10 values = np.array([(sin(x) + cos(y)) for y in np.linspace(0,2*np.pi,ny) for x in np.linspace(0,2*np.pi, nx)]) values = values.reshape(nx,ny) func = VoxelCoefficient((0,0), (1,1), values, linear=True) H = H1(mesh, order=2) gfu = GridFunction(H) gfu.Set(func) Draw(func, mesh, "func") Draw(gfu, mesh, "gfu")

Best,
Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: elizabethmonte
More
4 years 3 months ago #2363 by christopher
If the values correspond to vertices in the mesh, then use a gridfunction on an H1 space of order 1.
Where does your mesh come from? Do you know the ordering of the vertices in the mesh? The GridFunction entries are ordered the same way the mesh vertices are.
You can get a numpy array view onto the memory of the GridFunction vector by calling
Code:
u.vec.FV().NumPy()
for example
Code:
fes = H1(mesh, order=1) u = GridFunction(fes) u.vec.FV().NumPy()[:] = values

you can get the coordinates of the mesh vertices from the mesh:
Code:
for v in mesh.vertices: print("Vertex {} has coordinates {}".format(v.nr, v.point))

Best
Christopher
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds