Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

using ngsolve with mpi on cluster

More
4 years 2 months ago #2302 by gcdiwan
Dear NGSolve Developers,
I am trying to understand how ngsolve works on a hpc cluster. I launch the mpi_poisson.py from here with:
Code:
mpiexec -n 4 python3 mpi_poisson.py
on one of the nodes. I would have expected the code to print the dofs owned by each rank at the end and save the solution in 4 different vtk files as dictated by the partitions. However what i see is 4 copies of the code being run thus it's always the rank 0 which owns all the dofs and the output being saved to a single vtk file:
Code:
Hello from rank 0 of 1 rank 0 has 1288 of 1288 dofs! L2-error 1.3801833471401903e-07 Hello from rank 0 of 1 rank 0 has 1288 of 1288 dofs! L2-error 1.380183347140096e-07 Hello from rank 0 of 1 rank 0 has 1288 of 1288 dofs! L2-error 1.3801833471401694e-07 Hello from rank 0 of 1 rank 0 has 1288 of 1288 dofs! L2-error 1.3801833471401066e-07

How do i make sure the mpi is enabled when using ngsolve on hpc? I can see that on the cluster, build/CMakeCache.txt has -DUSE_MPI=OFF as well as i can see that NETGEN_CMAKE_ARGS has:

-DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/opt/gridware/depots/3dc76222/el7/pkg/compilers/gcc/8.3.0/bin/g++;-DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=/opt/gridware/depots/3dc76222/el7/pkg/compilers/gcc/8.3.0/bin/gcc;

I would have expected the c++ compiler to be mpicc and not g++. Is this the problem? I am attaching the CMakeCache.txt in build and build/netgen for your reference. Thanks a lot for your time and help!

File Attachment:

File Name: CMakeCache...tgen.txt
File Size:21 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: MakeCache_build.txt
File Size:20 KB
More
4 years 2 months ago #2303 by lkogler
You need to add -DUSE_MPI=ON to your cmake command. On a cluster, -DUSE_GUI=OFF is probably advisible.

It is not recommended to use the MPI wrapper compilers (mpicc/mpicxx) - cmake should find the appropriate compile and link flags on its own.

However, if possible, make sure that the MPI library und ngsolve are compiled with the same underlying compiler.

Best,
Lukas
More
4 years 2 months ago #2326 by gcdiwan

lkogler wrote: You need to add -DUSE_MPI=ON to your cmake command. On a cluster, -DUSE_GUI=OFF is probably advisible.

It is not recommended to use the MPI wrapper compilers (mpicc/mpicxx) - cmake should find the appropriate compile and link flags on its own.

However, if possible, make sure that the MPI library und ngsolve are compiled with the same underlying compiler.

Best,
Lukas

I am not sure if we have used the same compilers for mpi libraries and ngsolve. Whereas we have MPI_C_COMPILER set to mpicc, the ngsolve's cmake argument for c compiler is gcc. Do you think this will have any effect on performance?

Thank you!
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds