Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Can I edit mesh points after a solution, in order to rotate the solution.

More
4 years 7 months ago #1870 by jameslowman
Cheers,

I am attempting to solve a simple PDE on a defined mesh, then I wish to rotate that solution (the mesh is centered around the origin) so that it may be interpolated onto another mesh.

I know I have access to the points by means of:

for v in mesh.vertices:
print(v.point)

but unfortunately, I am unable to edit the points in the same manner.

Is there a way to edit a meshes domain location after a solution is saved on a gridfunction?
More
4 years 7 months ago #1871 by mneunteufel
Hi jameslowman,

it is possible to copy the mesh and to interpolate the old GridFunction into a new one.
Maybe the attached code can help.

Best,
Michael

File Attachment:

File Name: movingmesh.py
File Size:0 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jameslowman
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #1872 by jameslowman
Thanks so much for your quick reply, and code. I think you may have solved my problem.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by jameslowman.
More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #1873 by jameslowman
For all who encounter this problem in the future: mneunteufel has the answer in his code generously shared in his response. You can edit mesh points directly (and at any point in execution) via the ngmesh.Points function:

for p in mesh.ngmesh.Points():
px,py = p[0], p[1]
p[0] = func1(px,py)
p[1] = func2(px,py)

where func1, func2 are whatever you choose to mutate your mesh.

Thanks again mneuteufel.
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by jameslowman.
More
2 years 1 week ago #4322 by walker_tr9
The last post gives an ok method, but is there a way to update the mesh points as a numpy array?  The solution above assumes we have explicit functions to give new mesh coordinates.  It would be more convenient to pass in my own array.  And yes, I already know about the mesh deformation method.
More
2 years 6 days ago #4324 by joachim
within the latest nightly you find a 

mesh.Coordinates()

which returns a numpy view of the point coordinates

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds