Forum Message

We have moved the forum to https://forum.ngsolve.org . This is an archived version of the topics until 05/05/23. All the topics were moved to the new forum and conversations can be continued there. This forum is just kept as legacy to not invalidate old links. If you want to continue a conversation just look for the topic in the new forum.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Parallel OCCT Meshing : how to identify the bad face ?

More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #4754 by Olivier
Hi Friends,

I'm using python to mesh an OCCT TopoDS_Solid.
Code is simple :

Code:
brep = OCCGeometry(...) with pyngcore.TaskManager():     mesh = brep.GenerateMesh(...)

When NetGen is in the "surface meshing" phase, the Face number is output to the console.
Because the Faces meshing is done in parallel, the Face number displayed has nothing to do with the original Face index in the OCCT Solid.
So, if the meshing fails, I have nothing in the output to know what Face is guilty.

Do you know how I could have access to this info ?
Last edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by Olivier.
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #4755 by matthiash
Hi Oliver,
You can set the MeshingParameter nthreads=1 to mesh sequentially. Anyway, the surface meshing is not parallel yet, just the mesh optimization afterwards.
The face numbers should match the numbering in the IGES/Step topology explorer in the netgen GUI.

Best,
Matthias
More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #4756 by Olivier
Thanks Matthiash,

According to this post ngsolve.org/news/new-features/52-netgen-parallelization , parallelization is somehow impacting 2D meshing (i.e. the Blue graph is smaller when parallelized).
Moreover, if the 2D phase was purely iterative, why would be the face numbers wrong in the output ?
And finally, during the 2D phase, I'm seeing all my CPU @100%, proving that a parallel process is running.

Disabling multithreading would be a very bad news, because I'm seeing real benefits in the final processing time.

I was hoping to be able to somehow "tag" each face, and retrieve this tag after the failure.
I guess I'll have to make some DIY cooking inside the code ...

Thanks again Matt !
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #4757 by matthiash
Thats quite a few questions, I will try to answer them one by one:
The post you mentioned is about the CSG Geometry Kernel (built-in in Netgen). OCC Surface meshing is not parallelized because we had issues with thread-safety in OpenCascade. Thus, only the surface optimization afterwards is running in parallel.

The face numbering has nothing to do with the parallelization, Netgen builds a face map, iterating over all compounds/solids and their faces, see here:  github.com/NGSolve/netgen/blob/master/li...occ/occgeom.cpp#L900

The 100% CPU usage is due to the busy loop in the TaskManager (which has the benefit that even small loops profit from parallelization with low task distribution overhead). I agree that we should throttle this in sequential parts of the code (this is done when calling external direct solvers in NGSolve for instance)

Disabling multithreading was just a suggestion for debugging your meshing issue, not a recommendation in general.

For tagging the bad face, you could set the surface color at occgeom.cpp, line 247:
 mesh.GetFaceDescriptor(nr).SetSurfColour({1,0,0,1});

We will think about a more general solution. Note that there is the debugparam setting "write_mesh_on_error", which is set from Python with
Code:
netgen.meshing.debugparam.write_mesh_on_error = True
But this flag is only handled during volume meshing at this moment.

Best,
Matthias
More
11 months 2 weeks ago - 11 months 2 weeks ago #4758 by Olivier
Thanks a lot Matt for your fast and accurate answer.

If the number displayed during Face meshing, for exemple :
Face 2013 / 3474 (parameter space projection)
If this number is the real index in the Face MAP, this is perfectly OK for my purposes.
More
11 months 2 days ago - 11 months 2 days ago #4779 by Olivier
Back Matthias,

I was wondering what problem you have faced with OCCT, preventing you from activating parallel 2D meshing ?
Last edit: 11 months 2 days ago by Olivier.
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds